Monday, November 05, 2007


If you have been reading my blog you will know that I am getting to know the Sigma SD14. Sunday was a wonderful day here as the light was warm and the sky mostly clear. To my surprise I found things about using the SD14 that I was not expecting. I went to take an early morning photo at the ISO 50 setting and realized a tripod would help. As you may also know, with my love for stabilized cameras and lenses, it has been awhile since I have set up a tripod. I have forgotten how it feels to adjust a good tripod, and take a little more time to compose a photo. The camera didn't focus quite the way I wanted so I switched to manual focus and with my free hand, thanks to the tripod, I began to experiment with focus. What's next, manual exposure? My point is not only can the Sigma SD14 capture a photograph like no other camera, it also provided me with a feeling and experience that I haven't had with a camera for a long time. From the sound of the shutter to the large viewfinder this camera just feels good and that for me makes a difference in the photos I capture with it. This photo shows the contrast of the warm November light on the trees and rocks and the deep blue refection of the sky in the river. I have printed this photo 16x24 and the depth it has I think is the result of the Foveon sensor. The feeling I have when I look at the photo has to do more with the experience of using the camera. Oh and the tripod too. Bill

No comments: